From:        Stephan Herrmann <stephan.herrmann@xxxxxxxxx>
To:        orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx,
Date:        10/13/2015 09:11 AM
Subject:        [orbit-dev] BCEL 6.0
Sent by:        orbit-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Orbiters,

The latest release of BCEL (5.2) is not able to handle Java 8 byte code.
(No support for MethodHandle and InvokeDynamic).

Since Object Teams (still) depends on BCEL I'm investigating options to
migrate to BCEL 6.0, which adds support for the new byte codes.

After version 5.2, development of BCEL had pretty much stalled, but activity
has come back to that project, and BCEL 6.0 is in the RC phase [1][2].

Now, between the first move towards releasing 6.0 and a failed vote on RC4
another 16 months have passed, and a final release date has still not been set.
Therefore, I'd like to discuss putting the current RC4 into Orbit, as mentioned
by David Williams [3].

Would this move get support from any Orbit committer?

Note, that BCEL 6.0 already comes as a valid OSGi bundle, with proper MANIFEST.MF [4].

For Object Teams there are more variables in the equation, that still need to
be sorted out (e.g., unsatisfactory support for StackMapTable), but any hints
on getting a yet unreleased version of BCEL into Orbit would be extremely helpful.
Would that be a big effort / require a lot of discussing and hand-waving?

thanks!
Stephan

[1]
http://apache-commons.680414.n4.nabble.com/bcel-Next-release-td4662789.html#a4668470