Re: [mosquitto-dev] Bridge connection over Websockets

On Sat, Nov 19 2022, Abilio Marques <abiliojr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I was wondering if it's there would be a downside of developing what you
> need as an external program that sits between your two brokers, and does
> the conversion to websockets.
>
> 1. Program is listening to TCP (+TLS) on one side.
> 2. When a client connects, it starts the connection to the WS side.
> 3. If connection on WS succeeds, it starts passing MQTT packets back and
> forth between both sides.
>
> For authentication with username/password, you should have no problem (It's
> passed transparently). For mutual authentication, maybe client credentials
> need to be deposited in the program, so they are used on behalf of the
> client.
>
> As a separate tool, it can evolve separate from mosquitto, without it's
> development pace being limited by mosquitto's project. Also, it can be
> developed in whatever language you prefer. At the same time, it would avoid
> mosquitto's bridge code from becoming too complex for a not so popular
> feature (I might be wrong).
>
> What do you think of the option of keeping it separate?

I have thought about writing a separate program to do the bridging. I just
find it less elegant, and more annoying having to maintain a separate project
only for having that "simple" feature. That's why I thought about writing it
into the source (mosquitto) instead of repeating ourselves.

If writing the feature into mosquitto proves too complicated or cumbersome for
us or the community, then having a separate bridge program becomes my plan B.

Back to the top