Re: [m2e-users] Long term outlook for 'M2E plugin execution notcovered'

I get the feeling that the two sides of this discussion are not
hearing each other.

However good the reasons, to the end user it looks as though the m2e
team have been working like bees to remove features that we all depend
on, and the result (today) looks significantly less useful than
previous versions.  For my part, I'm still on v3.5+0.9.something and
trying out NetBeans, feeling that I'm strongly warned off of the
current Eclipse and m2e as the combination is not yet ready for the
way I want to use it.

If I understand the other side of the discussion, the m2e team have
been taking out things that could not be properly done in m2e itself
and were unmaintainable, and instead providing more support for other
teams to do a proper job with those functions.  So things do get worse
for a while as a necessary step to them getting better than before.

For the discussion to progress, we need to hear from the third parties
who are now encouraged to pick up those features and reimplement
them.  I'm left wondering if any of those parties have been informed
that the problem has been "tossed over the wall" to them.

If in the end Eclipse+m2e becomes less mysterious, frustrating, and
unstable than in the past, then it will have been worth some
disruption and I suppose I'll be using the latest and greatest at some
point.  For now I'm waiting to see what happens.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mwood@xxxxxxxxx
Asking whether markets are efficient is like asking whether people are smart.