Re: [m2e-dev] Wish to contribute an incubating bundle for easier import

Hi Mickael,
If that API is to become a part of Platform UI, then I think there's no point in objecting to include an extension point for that in m2e.

I took a quick look at your MavenProjectConfigurator and it checks that packaging is not 'pom'. Pom projects do need to be configured with m2e for it to be able to resolve parents, import-scoped dependencies from workspace among other things.

I'm currently working on a more intuitive import workflow and framework for the Eclipse IDE that has been contributed to e4 and that will hopefully get in Platform UI for Mars+1. This framework is documented here: https://wiki.eclipse.org/E4/UI/Smart_Import .
I have an extension available to automatically detect and configure Maven projects when using this import mechanism. The extension is available at https://github.com/jbosstools/jbosstools-playground/tree/master/plugins/org.jboss.tools.playground.easymport.maven and relies on m2e APIs. I believe it would make much sense to move it to m2e, as an Experimental/Incubating component.

Do you have any concern with such a contribution? What would be the next steps to proceed?

Cheers,
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat