Re: [lsp4e-dev] Release in 2 weeks?

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 11:25 AM, Martin Lippert <mlippert@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
- As far as I know, the 0.2.0 release will not be usable with Neon.x, only with Oxygen.x. Is that correct?

Yes. The 2 reasons why this isn't working against Neon are:
* it integrates with Generic Editor, which is shipped only with Oxygen, but
** we could make the dependency to generic editor optional as it's not a static code dependency (Generic Editor is "only" referenced in an extension in plugin.xml). If you think it's worth it, please provide a patch.
** Older builds of Generic Editor (prior to asynchronous content asssist https://www.eclipse.org/eclipse/news/4.7/M5/#manually-create-content-types#async-content-assist , so M4) can be installed and work against Eclipse Neon.
* It requires some newer mylyn wikitext bundles; which might also work on Neon, I didn't try.

- Will future versions 0.3.0 (and maybe beyond) be compatible with Oxygen.x ?

As long as there is no outstanding new feature in Platform 4.8 that LSP4E wants to leverage, we can try our best for backward-compatibility or at least compatibility with current release stream.
If Platform releases in 4.8/Photon a new feature LSP4E wants to leverage, it will be part of the game to influence Platform to backport it to 4.7/Oxygen stream.
If a Platform feature we want to leverage cannot be backported, we'll probably have to write on multiple branches at the same time to support both Oxygen and Photon stream..
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse IDE developer, at Red Hat Developers community

Back to the top