[jdt-dev] Eclipse Refactoring Question

Hi,

I want to know that what are the underlying assumptions based on which the Eclipse Refactoring determines if a certain refactoring (specifically for Extract Method) is correct/possible or not. For instance, in some cases the tool allows you to extract statements into a method and in some cases it does not.

So on what theoretical basis is this based? i.e. how did the designers of the refactoring plugin know when they want to allow refactoring and when not? I am asking this question, as I am considering the theoretical basis for Aspect-Oriented Refactoring; and I am not sure what rules would apply that would tell me if a specific fragment can/cannot be refactored.

I will really appreciate your response and/or any pointers to documentation outlining these decisions.

Thanks a lot,
Sincerely,
Irum Godil.