Re: [jakarta.ee-community] JAX-RS 2.1.1 Available On Maven Central

Mihai, I never heared of a standard that forbirds products to have additional features as long as those are not conflicting. I completely cannot see the point you make with monster applications. For example in JPA you can use the standardized API to pass native hints, which e. g. enable proprietary performance improvements. This code still runs well on any JPA implementation and nothing is vendor-locked or "monster". Following your idea would remove query hints from that API, leading to exactly the same code minus one line, but just running way slower in production. Nobody would have a benefit of such a restriction.

-Markus

From: jakarta.ee-community-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:jakarta.ee-community-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mihai A.
Sent: Dienstag, 11. September 2018 21:36
To: Jakarta EE community discussions
Subject: Re: [jakarta.ee-community] JAX-RS 2.1.1 Available On Maven Central

Well, yes, that's the point of a Specification, right? Having different implementations with the same interfaces. Functionality wise they should all be the same, but maybe some have less bugs, are faster than others etc.

It's a difficult discussion, of course, but it seems to me letting each vendor add its stuff only leads to monster applications which can only run on platform X, because nobody can figure out the mess in the pom.xml or understand what that dubious deployment descriptor is actually doing.

Sure, there are ways to do it in a clean manner and maintain portability (more or less) but very few people understand how to do that :D

On Tue, Sep 11, 2018, 22:19 Kevin Sutter <sutter@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Arjan did a nice job of explaining the first question in Mihai's post, I'll try the second question...

> On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 8:31 PM Mihai A. <amihaiemil@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> I would like EF to not make the same mistake Oracle did, and that is
> allow vendors to implement more than the spec covers. Because it's
> in the best interest of vendors to tie developers to their own
> (licenced, paid) implementations. They do this by adding new,
> proprietary, features. Devs do not realize this, of course, until
> their code is in Production :)

Really?  You want no value-add capabilities provided by vendors?  You want the exact same implementation by all vendors?  So, basically, you are asking for a Reference Implementation and no more?  Actually, you aren't even asking for that since several of the Reference Implementations provide more than the Spec provides (Mojarra and Jersey are two such examples).  Thus, not even Glassfish satisfies your requirement.

But, I would argue that this is what the Spec, API, and TCK are for.  These three in combination define a contract.  As long as a developer only uses the features defined by the Spec and API, then their application should be portable between TCK-compliant implementations.  Sure, there will be edge cases.  But, for the most part, that's how you ensure that your applications are portable.  Stick to the Spec and don't wander off into the vendor's weeds...

On the other hand, you may find several nice features that your vendor is providing over and above the Spec.  It is your choice whether to utilize those features.  But, then your application portability may become more difficult.

Kevin Sutter
STSM, MicroProfile and Java EE architect
phone: tl-553-3620 (office), 507-253-3620 (office)
LinkedIn: