[iot-wg] Bluetooth LE support in Kura

Dave, all,

I had a look at the draft BLE implementation at Kura available at

The API looks very nicely designed as as there is no JSR for BLE, I am considering to use it within Eclipse SmartHome as well - and I think it will also be interesting for other projects like Eclipse SCADA or actually any Java/OSGi application in general (also outside of Eclipse).

Currently, the Kura API and Core bundles have quite some dependencies and constraints that one would not want to draw into your own application. I think it would be ideal to have a separate bluetooth API bundle available without any further dependencies on other Kura bundles. This would then be easily usable by others.

This again brings up the question (which we started disussing at ECE 2014) how to best deal with protocol implementations to make them easily consumable by all projects. I personally think it is ok to have them being part of specific projects (which makes the governance much clearer than if we would create a dedicated project for them), but still they should be available as separate, independent artifacts.

As an example: Within Eclipse SmartHome there is the reference implementation avaiable for OSGi RfC199 (EnOcean Base Driver): https://github.com/eclipse/smarthome/tree/master/protocols/enocean
This can be effectively build on its own and does not have any dependencies to other parts of Eclipse SmartHome. It shares the governance, versioning and release management, but can easily be reused by others.

What do others think how we should deal with this?

Best regards,
Kai

Back to the top