Re: [iot-wg] Open Source IoT Server discussion

It should be noted that for the items listed under Communication/Protocol adapters [A], that OSGi Remote Services provides a technical solution to most if not all the listed items.

The ECF project has an open source, existing, standards-compliant-and-CT-tested, protocol-agnostic implementation of OSGi Remote Services [1].   This allows service providers and consumers to interact via OSGi Services, independent of the underlying protocol and data format.

Further, with our upcoming Mars Release [2], we have added APIs that leverage Remote Services specifically for remote management, which of course is already being applied to remote management of devices.

Scott

[1]  https://wiki.eclipse.org/ECF
[2]  https://www.eclipse.org/ecf/NewAndNoteworthy_3.10.0.html

[A] Communication/Protocol adapters

This should:

  • Provide transparency regarding the concrete communication that devices are using
  • Mediate between concrete protocols and internal representations of the data
    • We already have concrete protocol adapters: LwM2M, MQTT but we don't have common representation to be used in a back-end.
    • James K: translation and arbitration could be done using Camel

We need to define the "protocol agnostic" data format into which incoming messages will be translated.

There is an agreement that we want this protocol adapter to be "billion-device-proof".