Re: [incubation] Using Swagger on project web site

Thanks for your comments, Wayne.

On 02.07.19 18:07, Wayne Beaton wrote:
> Project websites are generally intended as a way for project teams to
> communicate with their communities. Project websites tend to be a bit of
> a grey area with regard to intellectual property tracking requirements.
> In general, CQs are not required to track content that is used in a
> project website. As Kai stated, however, it is imperative that the terms
> of the license be respected.
>
> The reason why we allow this flexibility with websites is that we do not
> generally expect that folks will build products based on the content of
> a project website.
>
> A Swagger-based API feels like something different.

Our API is not Swagger-based. We have used OpenApi to define the API in
a YAML file. We only want to use the Swagger-UI component to visualize
the YAML file in a convenient way so that users of Hono can easily
browse and understand the resources defined by the API.

> I believe that it is
> reasonable to expect that an individual or organization might
> incorporate your Swagger-based content into a product, which effectively
> makes your Swagger-based content "project code" (core content) that must
> be taken through the process.

I do not quite get the argument. Everybody is already free to use the
Swagger UI component (i.e. download it from GitHub) and use it to
visualize our YAML file (which is part of our Hono code repository) in
exactly the same way we do on our project web site. So, FMPOV, there is
no "Swagger-based content". There only is a YAML file and some
JavaScript libraries that can be pointed to the URL of the OpenAPI spec
file that you want to visualize ...

> According to IPzilla, we have multiple versions of Swagger approved, so
> getting that through as "license certified" third party content should
> be pretty quick.

The CQs that we have on file are for versions from 2016 and none of them
actually contains source code of the (transitive) dependencies of the
Swagger UI. So, creating a CQ for a recent version will actually entail
quite some work. I'd rather go through that (annoying) process only if
absolutely necessary.

Back to the top