Re: [ide-dev] [eclipse-dev] Request for Speakers, Eclipse IDE 2023-03 Webinar May 3

Hi Mike,

Alex's answers it well.
I will just clarify that one source of your questions may actually come from the challenging and/or pessimistic phrasing I've used. Ie when I write "it's not likely to become [an Eclipse.org project] until we see compelling reasons for a move or if there are active enough external contributors pressuring for the move", I could have written "it is likely to become an Eclipse.org project if/when we see compelling reasons for a move, or when there are active enough external contributors pressuring for the move" which tells the same in a more optimistic way.
As Alex mentions, when there is a hint that moving this code to Eclipse.org would facilitate the work of the Eclipse community in eg adopting it as part of EPP packages, and in growing the community, or at to allow the community to focus more on some bits that are interesting for eclipseide-jdtls, we would do what's best for everyone, Red Hat included, and move the code to Eclipse.org. But for the moment, there is no space to compete for users and contributors with the well established JDT-UI editor yet; so I don't think moving this code right now would help.
The presentation I suggest here is about creating such a space for technical disruption and discussion (let's call it "innovation"), telling the JDT community of another possible way of doing things which -in our current opinion- is the most profitable and sustainable path forward for everyone.
I exactly mentioned this is not an Eclipse project to trigger such caution as yours about this proposal: is it fair for the IDE Working Group to promote this proposal over some others if there are any? I have a sense that, no, it wouldn't be fair and other proposals of Eclipse.org/SimRel projects should be prioritized. However, I also have another sense that talking longer-term and innovation and future is vital for the IDE Community and Working Group, so such proposals are worth being promoted... I'm pretty sure it's not the 1st time that Eclipse Community are used to discuss not-Eclipse.org-yet technical content.

Cheers,

Back to the top