[eclipse-dev] org.eclipse.osgi.util no longer required

This message is a heads up only.  Most/all eclipse developers/users will not be affected.

The org.eclipse.osgi.util plugin contains a number of standard OSGi helper classes.  Most of these are not relevant to Eclipse plugins.  One, ServiceTracker, is so relevant that we had a copy in the OSGi framework implemenation (org.eclipse.osgi).  This was brought up in our recent code review and we decided to export the one found in org.eclipse.osgi and remove the one in the util plugin.

The net result of this is that org.eclipse.osgi.util is no longer required by the runtime (or any other Eclipse plugin as far as I can tell) and will be removed from the require/provides list in org.eclipse.core.runtime.  ServiceTracker will continue to be available to plugins requiring the runtime plugin so no one should even notice this change.

Collateral changes:
- org.eclipse.osgi.util will be removed from the osgi.bundles line in config.ini
- org.eclipse.osgi.util will be removed from the list of base RCP plugins

The changes have been released to HEAD.

Jeff

Back to the top