Re: [cdt-dev] What exactly is CDT core build?

> On 20 Aug 2020, at 23:31, Jan Baeyens <jan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> I tell people to check in .cproject and .project and then no longer check them in (I always forget the git command name). This because when used across different osses/systems checking these files in creates lots of problems.
>
> I would like this to work and I think one should check-in .project and .cproject but because it creates a lot of problems I advice to check one in, test whether importing works on a different system and then "don"t touch it"

If this happens, it is a sign of a poorly designed plug-in.

By design .project and .cproject should be portable, and ideally the plug-ins should not store non-portable definitions there.

> One of the problems is that the .cproject contains ID's for instance
>
> <cconfiguration id="it.baeyens.arduino.core.toolChain.release.813972784">
>
> I have no clue where the number 813972784 comes from

random() followed by a uniqueness check.

> or why it is needed. I noted CDT to change these without me having a clue why.

CDT generally generates these IDs at project creation time and does not change them during the project lifetime (unless very special cases or rather poorly designed plug-ins).

I did some translators between CDT and other build systems (for example mBed, xPacks) and I played with these details.

Regards,

Liviu

Back to the top