Re: [andmore-dev] updates

I agree the Eclipse offerings should include an Android development platform I have been performing essential maintenance on Andmore for the last 6 months to this end. Recently I created a fork of Andmore which I call "Andworx" which allows me to progress to the Eclipse Oxygen IDE. Andworx supports both Java 8 and 9 execution environments and automatically adds desugar to the tool chain when compiling above Java level 1.7. It also includes the m2e-android plugin for integration with Maven. Andworx currently works with Android Build Tools version 3.1.1. I have successfully built and launched an Android-27 application with Andworx. However, AAPT is not working correctly with support libraries beyond Android-25, so my current challenge is to update to AAPT2. This also marks the start of getting Andworx to work directly with AAR files instead of having to convert them to library projects.

I have found maintaining Android on Eclipse is difficult, not only because of the ever increasing size and complexity of Android, but now also because of the need for dual Kotlin-Java development capability. On top of this, the Android SDK has now started to acquire some Gradle references, thus diminishing platform neutrality. Current trends do not favor being able to port Android development to another platform. However, Andworx is in there with a fighting chance.

The next potential blow to Android development on Eclipse is the planned removal of deprecated build code from the Android SDK at the end of the year. This is such big news that error messages have been added to appear on the console which warn of the pending change. The problem for me is that there is so much clutter introduced by recent innovations such as Variants, Flavors, Split APKs and incremental builds it's hard to figure out the basic design. Anyway, I thrive on technical challenge so am not daunted

Regards

Andrew