[Wtp-wst-dev] Minutes of Eclipse WTP Data Tools Kickoff telecon, 2004-10-08

Attendees: Arthur Ryman, Sheila Sholars, Der Ping Chou, Connie Nelin, David Fallside, Valeriy Pelyushenko, BC Holmes

1. Introductions

Arthur Ryman, IBM Rational - Web Standard Tools project lead
Sheila Sholars, IBM DB2 - SQL Tools lead
Der Ping Chou, IBM DB2 - RDB Tools lead
Connie Nelin, IBM DB2 - Data Tools chief architect
David Fallside, IBM DB2 - Apache Derby contact
Valeriy Pelyushenko, Exadel - Tool developer
BC Holmes, Intelliware - Sourceforge QuantumDB project contributor

2. The Proposed Plan

The time has come to start work on the Data tools in the Eclipse Web Tools Platform Project. All of you on the cc list are either contributors, have expressed an interest in contributing, or have some other interest in this project.

Here is our current situation:

1. Earlier this year IBM gave Exadel early access to the planned IBM code contribution. Valeriy made enhancements to the SQL scrapbook plug-in.
2. Eclipse approved the project in June and IBM uploaded its code as a zip file, where it remains.
3. IBM is completing a product release and plans to refresh the code contribution in a few weeks.
4. IBM also contributed the Cloudscape database to the Apache Derby project and there is interest in supporting it.
5. Several people have expressed a readiness to start work.

Rather than delay work further until the IBM contribution is refreshed, I believe we can do some useful work. We should focus on additions to the IBM contribution since the internals will change in the near future. Here is what I propose we do:

1. Rename the IBM contribution from com.ibm to org.eclipse.wst and commit it to CVS so people can start to work on it.
2. Integrate the Exadel enhancements to the SQL scrapbook and begin work on an improved SQL source editor which code assist, refactoring, etc.
3. Support the Apache Derby project as follows:
3.1 Create a common Derby runtime plug-in.
3.2 Create a Server tool adapter to configure, launch, debug, etc. Derby. For example, this would allow you to deploy and debug Java stored procedures.
3.3 Add support for connections to Derby so that it is accessible from the SQL scrapbook.

2. Discussion

Connie - We'll are making changes to the SQL Model and would like to present them to the group.

Arthur - Let's do that in 2 weeks. If you have a design document I can put that on our Web site.

David - There is interest at Apache Derby in Eclipse. They are using Eclipse to build Derby and would welcome Eclipse tools. There may even be work in progress. We should check the dev list.

3. Work Assignments

Valeriy will work on renaming the initial IBM contribution (task 1) with help from Arthur since Valeriy does not yet have committer access. Valeriy will then contribute his enhancements to the SQL Scrapbook plug-in, reviewing code modifications to the IBM plug-ins with Sheila.

BC will lead the Apache Derby support (task 3). Tasks 3.1 and 3.2 can be done immediately, i.e. they do not rely on the IBM data code being committed. Task 3.2 requires learning the Server tool API, which Arthur can assist with by connecting BC with the Server tool team.

4. Action Items

Arthur will send Valeriy an Ant script (used for the Server tools) to do the rename.

Arthur will escalate Valeriy's commiter access (or do the commits himself if that's quicker).

Valeriy will test the renamed code and get it into the build. (Refer to the WTP release engineering module in CVS. Naci Dai has set up a build process.)

Arthur will send the Eclipse contributor guidelines to BC.

David will see if there is any related Eclipse work going on at Apache Derby.

Arthur will set up the next telecon for October 22.

Connie will present the new SQL model on October 22.

Arthur Ryman,
Rational Desktop Tools Development

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411