Re: [wtp-proposal] PHP support

Hi Jubijub,

Jubijub wrote :

> Hi,
>
> It is clear that the Eclipse project emphasizes on its modularity, and
> on the fact that despite it's java-based, it's not java-oriented only.
> But when you see the list of languages that are meant to be supported by
> the web tools project, I  say there is clearly something  missing : PHP.
>
> I reckon PHP has to be in this project for various reasons :
> - eclipse WEB tools project means it's targeted to web development : it
> will supports JSP, HTML, CSS...why not PHP ? you can clearly mix J2EE
> and PHP to build web applications, so it make sense on a java based
> point of view. On another hand, enabling PHP would make Eclipse a
> perfect web development tool because of the power of its interface, and
> because all main web languages needed to build a php based site are or
> will be present in Eclipse.
>
> - the current proposal is clearly Java oriented, and I reckon its
> opposite to the Eclipse tradition to be only Java focused. (I'm talking
> about tradition because of CDT and other projects/plugins of that kind)
>
> - PHP is a main actor of the web today, so it's worth it.
>
> Whatever happens, I must say I'm delighted to see that finally the
> Eclipse consortium is taking care of the web aspect, so critical nowadays.

Yes, "eclipse WEB tools project means it's targeted to web development", and
as far as I understand, "its opposite to the Eclipse tradition to be only Java
focused".

The Eclipse Web Tools Platform project focus on infrastructure for tools used
to build applications for standards-based Web and Java runtime environments.
This project draws a line between non-Java tools and Java tools for Web
development. This leads to two remarks:
- the current proposal doesn't talk about PHP tools. Alright. In fact, Java
tools alone are a big thing to put on the table.
- the Web Standard Tools subproject is related to the definition of an
infrastructure whom some parts could be used for defining, for example, PHP
tools. So, as far as I see, someone will be able to leverage this subproject
for providing PHP tools.

Having said this, if you want to contribute to the Web Standard Tools
subproject (to support, at the end, the development of PHP tools), you are
welcome!

My 2 cents.

Regards,
Dominique De Vito