[wtp-proposal] PHP support

Hi,

It is clear that the Eclipse project emphasizes on its modularity, and on the fact that despite it's java-based, it's not java-oriented only. But when you see the list of languages that are meant to be supported by the web tools project, I say there is clearly something missing : PHP.

I reckon PHP has to be in this project for various reasons :
- eclipse WEB tools project means it's targeted to web development : it will supports JSP, HTML, CSS...why not PHP ? you can clearly mix J2EE and PHP to build web applications, so it make sense on a java based point of view. On another hand, enabling PHP would make Eclipse a perfect web development tool because of the power of its interface, and because all main web languages needed to build a php based site are or will be present in Eclipse.

- the current proposal is clearly Java oriented, and I reckon its opposite to the Eclipse tradition to be only Java focused. (I'm talking about tradition because of CDT and other projects/plugins of that kind)

- PHP is a main actor of the web today, so it's worth it.

Whatever happens, I must say I'm delighted to see that finally the Eclipse consortium is taking care of the web aspect, so critical nowadays.

Julien Bidault, happy Eclipse user

Back to the top