Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 11:20 PM
Subject: Re: [wtp-proposal] Proposal About SVG Plugin

Xinjie,

Thx for your note. Personally, I like SVG, however, my main concern about it is the lack of a widely deployed client runtime environment. The main one I know about is the SVG Viewer from Adobe, but I am uncertain about the future of that technology. There are also Java SVG libraries, but if the client is Java, then Java widget libraries would probably be used for most of the UI and SVG would only be used for presenting the graphics.

My personal tool development philosophy is that tools are only interesting if there is a good, widely deployed, runtime on which to deploy the artifacts that the tools create, i.e. the runtime must preceed the tools. For example, HTML tools are interesting because Web browsers are ubiquitous. J2EE tools are interesting because there are many production quality J2EE servers.

However, I think SVG has potential, so at a minimum the WTP project should provide components that can be used by others to develop SVG tools. For example, the _javascript_ editor used in our HTML editor should also be usable in an SVG editor. Similarly for the _javascript_ debugger.

Arthur Ryman,
Rational Desktop Tools Development

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063
intranet: http://w3.torolab.ibm.com/DRY6/

"Xinjie ZHANG" <xjzhang78@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-proposal-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

05/11/2004 04:38 PM

Please respond to
wtp-proposal

<wtp-proposal@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[wtp-proposal] Proposal About SVG Plugin

Dear Mr Arthur Ryman, Mr. Christophe Ney, Mr. Dominique  De Vito ...
   Thank you for your attention to SVG Plugin. In this email I would like to explain more my ideas.

1.Background
Although there are many well-designed frameworks, developing a stable, easy-to-maintain and personalized web application is still a big challenge for developers. Where is the problem? I don't think the frameworks, such as Struts, Spring,Maverick,Hibernate etc, are not good enough. Their archetectures all sound reasonable. But when you put them into practice, you will find them difficult to tame. They are all based on MVC/Model 2 archetecture. I should say the "View" is the weakest section in all these framework. I do not think HTML could be a suitable format for the GUI of web applications, although it would still be the first choice for a long time. Let's look into its shortcomings:

(1)The bigest problem of HTML should be its layout strategy. It heavily relies on Tables. In order to render interface elements properly, you should put a lot of efforts to carefully design the Tables. In most cases, it is beyond the capacity of a developer. Moreover, to make application developers and HTML web designers understand each others and cooperate smoothly is never so easy.

(2)The capacity to generate dynamical HTML elements is very limited and not easy to control.

(3)HTML is a stateless language, all middle states should be transfered between servers and browsers with GET/POST. Network timeout problems may lose all the middle state data, it is really annoying for users to enter them again and again. Moreover it could also cause security problems.

(4)Personalizing a HTML web application is difficult. Maybe a lot of images would be helpful, but it will cause a web application to be slow.

For those reasons, I think a more powerful browser side language is necessary. Flash and SVG could be taken into account

2.Flash or SVG

Macromedia brings us a new term "Rich Internet Application" or RIA when it announces its new product Flash MX. Of course, we should not consider it as a new conception. Even several years ago, Sun's Java Applet could do the same thing, certainly with more efforts. Unfortunately, for Java Applet's long load time, big footprint and bad supports of Microsoft, it could not be a widely accepted solution for RIA. Flash MX seems the best choice.However Its overall developer environment is still focused toward animation development. The program uses a score in which you add cast members within a timeline - a method used for traditional animation. But linear timeline-based development just doesn't make sense in an application environment. Moreover the standard SWF is completely controled by Macromedia, it is not so good for an open source project.

So why not SVG(Scalable Vector Graphics)? SVG could be another choice for RIA. It is a XML based 2D vector graphics open standard, under development by the W3C. It has some unique advantages, such as homan-readable format, manipulation of graphics elements via DOM, full supports of _javascript_ and even Java ect. In the point of a developer, it is really great. Unfortunately, an IDE (Integrated Development Envirement) for SVG can not yet be available. There are even no professional SVG authoring tools, which could be as powerful and robust as Flash MX. So developing an easy to use, scalable and robust IDE for SVG should be meaningful.

3.Features of SVG Plugin
The first version of SVG plugin has been already available in my website(www.openvue.net/projects). Although it is still in its very begining stage, it now allow developers to design their web application interface in a way of WYSIWYG as what you have done with Visual Basic. There are still many things to do:

(1) A better _javascript_ editor
(2) Integrated _javascript_ debugger. Almost all SVG components in the plugin are generated dynamically by _javascript_. It would be hard to maintain these codes without a debugger.
(3)  "Looks & Feels" feature, it should allow users to change the L&F at runtime
(4) Some _javascript_ classes to communicate with the servers with different protocols, such as SOAP, XML RPC etc
(5) Some advanced SVG component, such as Table, TreeView, ListView, Chart etc, to represent data
(6) More stable and more fast

4.Conclusion
I think the Web Tool Project should not only focus in improving the develops' efficiency but also the users' experiences. SVG is a good way to personalize our web application, smooth the web development and make the maintain much easier.

Back to the top