Re: [wtp-incubator-dev] VEX Milestone

I think the only things required for a milestone build is for you to have
a milestone plan, and some test phase.

It only makes sense to have a milestone build, if it is part of a general
milestone plan. Seems like "1 week after WTP milestones" is one such
approach to a plan (I think that's how XSL got started?). Or, you could do
at same time as WTP milestones", etc., .... but, I think you need some
milestone plan, to call something a milestone.

Second, a "milestone" in Eclipse is generally considered good enough that
early-testing-end-users can use it productively.
I'm sure your first one can be cut a little slack, but it should be
something that is somewhat tested by the team and "certified" to be usable
by others. That can be what ever you want it to be, but there should be
some "test plan" and "sign-off" in place to make sure the team stands
behind it and all agree its ready ... doesn't have to be formal (for very
small teams) but some process specified (in WTP, we used to do "if no
objections by [some date]" but then went to requiring a check-off as we
matured).

WTP's M3 milestone is due Friday, btw :)

Of course, I guess you can put something on the downloads page and not
call it a milestone ... could just call it "the first declared build" or
something. But, I'd encourage you to get started with the "milestone
mentality" since that's one of the criteria for graduation (you know,
having predictable builds, meeting your milestone plans, etc.).

HTH

From:
David Carver <d_a_carver@xxxxxxxxx>
To:
WTP Incubator Dev list <wtp-incubator-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Ed Burnette
<Ed.Burnette@xxxxxxx>
Date:
11/03/2008 09:02 PM
Subject:
[wtp-incubator-dev] VEX Milestone

David  Williams, thought I'd post this to the wtp-incubator-dev list to
gather some feedback from those interested in VEX as well as to get PMC
thoughts.

Since we now have automated builds running and they seem to be working
OK (thanks for debugging the last of the issues), I was wondering if we
could get a Milestone build out for VEX...  The reason being is that I
need some more feedback from the community on particular functionality
and enhancements.   The DocBook stuff is working fairly well with the
new Content Model, the DITA items are causing some reparsing issues, but
I hope to fix those once we get fully integrated with the WTP DOM.   The
main reason for the milestone is to give the use community and potential
adopters something to kick around and test.

It by default only includes the DocBook support files, but the DITA
support is in CVS, it just needs more testing, but DocBook is pretty
useable now.

Thoughts, particularly from those lurking in the shadows. :)   I've
tested this on both 3.4 and 3.5.

Dave