From: David Carver <d_a_carver@xxxxxxxxx>
To: WTP Incubator Dev list <wtp-incubator-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, 26 August, 2008 5:35:41 PM
Subject: Re: [wtp-incubator-dev] XSLT Debugging

DOUG SATCHWELL wrote:
> Thats great. Please don't commit any work on this yet though, as I
> have done a lot of refactoring which I'm going to commit after M1.
> Then we can look at using the DLTK (though I'm still not entirely sure
> what it gives us, as everything you mention is already implemented,
> anyway we'll leave that for another day).
Doug, there are some additional items we could inherit from the DLTK
framework besides debugging, but I'm not sure how critical they are, and
really how compatible with the SSE editor they would be.    With this
said, there is one thing I do like about the debugging framework they
have setup.  They've broken the concept of the interpreter to be used
during launch configurations from the concept of the debugger to use.
In someways this makes sense for us as well, with the exception of using
Processor specific functionality and trying to debug that.  Here is a
screen shot of the preferences, sorta XSL Toolized:

The engine concept could be used by XSL Tools to provide a Basic XSL
Debugging engine that is used by default.  Since we redistribute Xalan
with the XSL Tools, and we leverage several of the API for editing and
validation, I think it might be a good idea to have Xalan as the default
debugger for all XSL Debugging situations.    If a user or adopter wants
to add a different XSL Debugger to the list, they can do that through
the existing XSL Tools extension points for the particular processor
they are contributing.

This allows those users that use the default JRE as their interpreter to
get some basic debugging support for XSLT 1.0 stylesheets.  If we
didn't want to go the debugging engine route, then I think an addition
to the XSL Processor extension point should indicate whether that
particular processor uses the Default Basic Debugging engine, or whether
it contributes it's own debugging engine, or doesn't support debugging
at all.

This would at least give everybody basic debugging support out of the box.

Thoughts?

Dave