Re: [wtp-incubator-dev] Incubator build infrastructure is now ready

David, looking through this, I noticed that the XSLT items aren't building nightly, or at least don't appear to be showing up in the nightly builds. I would assume that the nightly builds are just anything that is in HEAD for a particular project (I could be mistaken). The same for the continuous integration builds, I don't see the XSL Tooling being included in those as well. The last Integration build was done on the 20th of January. Do integration builds have to be kicked off manually?

I wanted to do some testing with the latest bug fixes I added into CVS, but didn't necessarily want to tag anything yet or add it to the map file. I thought that is is what the nightly and continuous builds were ment to do?

Dave

David M Williams wrote:

Well, mostly.

You can always get to the latest continuous builds from this URL

http://build.eclipse.org/webtools/committers/
You'll want to book mark that URL

Currently, the Incubator XSL builds are "hidden" in the Integration builds section ... just look for the ones with a R0.5 build branch name.
(I'll improve the page so it has a separate section, eventually)

You can see the latest one at the following URL

http://build.eclipse.org/webtools/committers/incubator-R0.5-I/20080111183311/I-I20080111183311-20080111183311/

Note that the pre-reqs are not now linked as they should be, but I'll fix that soon (and need to for all continuous builds, not use XSL).

I'll give a brief explanation of releasing code to a build, but feel free to ask any questions if more clarification is needed.

o You'll need the releng.incubator project from the webtools repository in your workspace. It has some map files, which specify which CVS version to use in the build. (The features define what plugins to include, the maps define which CVS versions). The releng.incubator is in the webtools.maps directory in CVS, but should be checked out as top level project).

o You should also use the releng tool from the Eclipse platform (it's a separate download, I think near bottom of their download page). It adds a new "Release ...." action in the Team menu. This tool tags the project in cvs, then updates the map file with that tag, then commits the modified map file to HEAD (the HEAD of the map files, are always used during a build, and those map files tagged during a build, so
we can always "recreate" a build, so to speak).

o When you have code all committed to HEAD, and ready to release to a build, select the project(s), then choose the Release action. It presents a wizard. First time through, you'll have to navigate to the your map directory (releng.incubator), Next, pick the map files you want to release to (if they are not already selected). It is important to make sure the "Release only changed projects" is checked on. There's a couple of wizard pages where you can "see" the differences you are about to make for the build, which I highly recommend, even for experienced committers, and especially for those new to this process.

o The builds should be kicked off automatically when ever a change to the releng.incubator map files are made. (It checks once an hour). The build itself only takes about 10 minutes, but may take several hours if there is a complete WTP build already running.

o You can check on the status of the builds by going to
http://build.eclipse.org:7777/dashboard/dashboard?s=1
You'll want to book mark this URL too.

So ... explore around, try some small changes first, see if it works as you expect.

And ... be sure to actually test the zip's produced! Make sure I'm including what's desired.

I know there's more to discuss and explain (e.g. how to change pre-reqs) ... but, think I'll pause for now and wait for your direction.

BTW, this "build.eclipse.org" download is only for committers and early testers. Whenever there is a declared build, or milestone, we'll actually upload it to the normal download server, which is where we want the wider community to get it from (due to bandwidth constraints, etc.). We should probably have one "declared build" before the milestone on the 21st. We have them weekly or biweekly in the rest of WTP. You all in the XSL component can establish most any rhythm you'd like (as long as you have a rhythm, eventually :)