From: David M Williams <david_williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: WTP Incubator Dev list <wtp-incubator-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, 3 January, 2008 3:38:58 PM
Subject: Re: [wtp-incubator-dev] Saxon 9

> I have still created an org.eclipse.wst.xsl.saxon plugin, but
> without saxon.jar in it.

From the little I've looked at this, I don't think it's following a friendly "Eclipse Model". I'm not sure a "plugin without a jar" in it will even compile (without being present at compile time). And, it's not good practice to ask or expect users to copy things into an installed plugin.

There's a couple of other design possibilities, I think, that would be better.
One would be to have an XSLT Processor adapter layer (extension point)
that would define what's sometimes called an SPI to "plugin" to any code that used an XSLT Processor. (The code would be written to the adapter layer, instead of directly to
xalan or saxon APIs).

Another design that's sometimes used is the one where the user specifies where the processor is installed on their file system, and it's loaded dynamically, as needed. This works well if there's a clear, standard interface, and only few factory methods.

I'll look closer of course, but thought I'd make this quick comment for discussion
(and my education :)