Re: [wtp-incubator-dev] XSL Launching questions

> 1. The transformation pipeline just seems to be a list of stylesheets to
> run against the source XML files.  This doesn't cover the more typical
> use case of One stylesheet, creating output that the next stylesheet in
> the pipeline will use.    The transformation pipeline should be
> configurable so that different XML inputs may be used for each step in
> the pipeline.

I'm not sure I quite understand what you mean - the output from each step in the pipeline is the input to the next step. As far as I know, this is the typical way to configure a pipeline. Also, I don't see the point in configuring different inputs for each step - if you want to do this then it is better to create separate launch configurations for each?

> 2. Is there a dependency on any portion of the JDT for creating the
> launch configurations?  Ideally we shouldn't have a dependency with JDT
> at all.  This way if an adopter wanted to build just a pure XML IDE,
> they wouldn't need to include the JDT plugins just to use the XSLT
> options.  This may require rewriting some functionality that was in JDT
> or requesting that they make the functionality available in the platform.

Yes, there is a dependency. The JDT is used in multiple places - for instance, we re-use its Classpath page in the launch dialog, and we extend its launch config class (because we are in fact launching a Java application). It would be quite a big job to cut out the JDT and implement our own code. And I'm not sure that it is even desirable to do that in all cases - for instance, if I set JDK 1.4 to be the desired JRE in my Java preference page, I would expect my Java transform to be using that JRE by default? Only the JDT knows about JRE instances that are available - without a JDT dependency we wouldn't know how to discover these. And another reason to use the JDT launching is that we can make use of it for profiling - simply let it profile as you would any other Java application.

So, there's a few reasons why we depend on the JDT. It would be possible to separate this out, but I'm not sure its achievable during this iteration. We can put it as an enhancement request?