From: Jesper Steen Møller <jesper@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: WTP Incubator Dev list <wtp-incubator-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, 22 December, 2007 2:43:02 PM
Subject: Re: [wtp-incubator-dev] Extensibility of XSLT editor menus, popups,

DOUG SATCHWELL wrote:

> I'm happy for you to take on this part of the work. It is important to
> get a plan together, and to keep the rest of the world up to date via
> the wiki. The planning itself needs to be a consultation process. It
> needs to be realistic too - I'm sure we all have full-time jobs so we
> need to keep the size of the tasks manageable.

+1

> OK - lets work on a milestone plan that we can use. I do want this to
> result in the XSL code getting published to an update site early on -
> the earlier we get it there the sooner we can work on ironing out the
> bugs. I'll explain why I think we can do this.
>
> I think that there are 2 streams of development here as per the
> proposal at
> http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/incubator/proposals/XSLTools_proposal.html.

> 1) XSL launching + debugging.
>
> 2) XSL editing capabilities and validation.

The intersection between is what goes into 'core': XSL Schema catalog
entries and the contentType extension.

Don't forget the XPath view and the customized XML outline view.

> Stream 1 is actually quite mature because it has been based on
> existing mature code that has been converted. My aim is to get this up
> to scratch within the next 2 weeks - that means documentation, JUnit
> tests and integration with the WTP build process. This is the spit and
> polish.
>

> Stream 2 is much less mature - we need a great deal more than spit and
> polish here, so milestones for this are distant.

There's been a lot of restructuring in this, but it's coming along bit
by bit, I just haven't committed anything yet.

> The point is that the 2 streams are more or less independent. You can
> deliver one without the other, as long as the plugins are suitably
> arranged. And the sooner we deliver something - even if it is just
> stream 1 - then the better for us because we get to know how the
> process works and get people using and testing it for us. As
> Konstantin points out, it looks like we should be getting it built as
> a separate distro first.
>
> So what I would like to propose is that in the first part of the plan
> we make a determined effort to get stream 1 to production quality and
> released. Then we turn our attention to stream 2.

Or we could work in parallel  - as these proposed streams are pretty
much independent.

>  In other words, we can get stream 1 to RC1, while stream 2 is still
> at M1.
>
>  Is that sensible?

Er, I'm a little wary of re-using milestone labels such as M1 and RC1
which will easily confused with the Ganymede plan items.
I'd suggest referring to the Ganymede milestone plan (+3 stage) as a
timebox and then focus the effort accordingly in a tabular fashion:

Feature: XLST Launching
M4: Main functionality done
M5: Tested and packaged (update site)
M6 [API freeze] End user help
M7: Cheat sheet, etc.
Feature: XPath view
M4: As imported from Orangevolt XLST + namespace support
M5: Enhancement xxx, yyy, zzz, Bug aaa
M6 [API Freeze] Tested and packaged (update site)
M7: End user help

Feature: Validator
M4: Use existing X-Assist features in existing validation framework
M5: Move to new validation framework

The features could then be evaluated and tested independently.
Well, that's my take on this, but ultimately, I'm not religious in these
matters.

-Jesper