Re: [wtp-incubator-dev] Extensibility of XSLT editor menus, popups, etc.

DOUG SATCHWELL wrote:
I really dislike all the menu contribution mechanisms we have in Eclipse at the moment. I find it really confusing - so any improvement on that basis would be a good thing! The only reservation I have about utilising the proposed extension point is that the XSLT plugins would then depend on it. That means that we couldn't get the XSLT code to pass the review process before the new extension point code has passed the review process, and I really want to get something accepted soon.
I think we need to get hooked into the WTP milestone process, so that we can better organize and corrodinate what needs to be done and by when. Honestly, as the original X-Assist and organevolt XSLT editors currently stand I would put them in a M1 category, with several key features missing from a UI aspect.

I do think getting the XSLT Launcher in as a M1 is fine. Could be the validators, but the area I think we really need some good spit and polish and useability is in the specific features for the XSLT Editor itself. At the momement from a development standpoint, it provides only the bare minimum of features needed from an XSLT stand point.

So I think we need to really do some planning, have some clear goals laid out and when we want to get them done.

We also need to make sure that we are following all of the committer guidelines where possible:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/Development_Conventions_and_Guidelines

There is also the issue of getting the nightly builds in place.

http://wiki.eclipse.org/WTP_Build_Process_and_Procedures

Unit Tests developed for existing functionality.

http://wiki.eclipse.org/WTP_Compatibility_Tests
http://wiki.eclipse.org/WTP_Functional_Test

David is there a documented process for the Eclipse Milestone process. I believe Eclipse follows a modified OpenRUP process. Is there a link that lays this out.

While I agree we need to get some code out, I think we are still a ways away from integrating as a whole into the main stream code.

So I think we need to shoot for a Milestone 1, so that we can get it out there for the community to kick around, and start reporting bugs against it. Also, are there any outstanding bugs in the sourceforge databases, that we should migrate over to the incubator? If so, we should address those as well as we go forward.

I come from working with an agile methodology that is a combination of Scrum and XP, so I'm a firm believer of maintain a product backlog, and iterative development.

However, as soon as the extension point code is (or is likely to be) accepted then I have no problem to converting our plugins to use it. Do you agree?

I agree, and many of the features where we need to contribute can't be done until bug 212330 is looked at and implemented, which last comment I received from Amy Wu she wasn't going to have time to review it until after M4 was out the door. Which means not until January time frame.

Dave

Back to the top