Re: [wtp-dev] Successful CI requires breaking deps and reorgs, discussion required

On 07/11/2017 11:09 PM, Robert Stryker wrote:
Hey everyone:

Hello Rob!

QUESTION 1)
IS SUCH A CHANGE APPROPRIATE AT THIS TIME? If it's not appropriate, or cannot be approved, then we might have real issues in breaking these circular dependencies between repos until the next major release.

Once that's broken (there are gerrit pushes for that change), there's still one more issue: org.eclipse.jst.common.ui  (in common) depends on org.eclipse.jst.common.frameworks (in javaee).

One of these plugins needs to move, either up or down. Luckily the only things between javaee and common are jsdt/sourceediting and server. The data doesn't show either would be affected by either a move up or a move down.

I believe we can make these changes to be released in Photon. (I'm curious: why it's not named after Pluto?) And I don't think we need to rush with those in Oxygen+X releases.

QUESTION 3: Will the servertools lead consent to a merge of their repos?

Tier 2:  jsdt / source-editing.  These two have circular dependencies among themselves. It'd be great if these 2 projects could figure out a proper heirarchy, or, alternately, if they'd agree to be merged into one repo ;)

Right now, I'm like "-1" for such a merge. These are two "too-different" projects. We just had in HTML Editor the content assist/validation from JSDT for embeded _javascript_ tags as well as we made SSE validation to work on JSDT projects (and provided the according validator) - that's why these two projects became to depend on each other...

I'd just prefer to make it one-way dependency... Like to make SSE NOT to depend on JSDT.

QUESTION 4: Are the jsdt / source-editing repos able to break their circular dependencies? If no, are they willing to be merged into one repo?

I hope yes, we can make that dependency to be at least 'one way'
Thanks all

- Rob Stryker

Thanks in advance,
Victor