Re: [wtp-dev] Successful CI requires breaking deps and reorgs, discussion required

> On Jul 14, 2017, at 12:45 PM, Victor V. Rubezhny <vrubezhn@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On 07/11/2017 11:09 PM, Robert Stryker wrote:
>> QUESTION 3: Will the servertools lead consent to a merge of their repos?
>>
>> Tier 2:  jsdt / source-editing.  These two have circular dependencies among themselves. It'd be great if these 2 projects could figure out a proper hierarchy, or, alternately, if they'd agree to be merged into one repo ;)
>
> Right now, I'm like "-1" for such a merge. These are two "too-different" projects. We just had in HTML Editor the content assist/validation from JSDT for embeded JavaScript tags as well as we made SSE validation to work on JSDT projects (and provided the according validator) - that's why these two projects became to depend on each other...
>
> I'd just prefer to make it one-way dependency... Like to make SSE NOT to depend on JSDT.

Historically, the dependency was supposed to exclusively be SSE->JSDT, making it possible to install the JavaScript tools on the bare Platform much like you can the Java tools. This is why the jsdt.web.* bundles live where they live right now. I also think that a simple merge is impractical, but reestablishing a single direction for dependencies is worthwhile.

We should probably open a bug to clear up the dependency situation, but I don’t see a huge benefit in JSDT using SSE’s pluggable source validation extension point [org.eclipse.wst.jsdt.internal.ui.text.java.JavascriptValidationStrategy#getValidatorStrategy()]. It’s just running validation code that already lives in the JSDT plug-ins, isn’t it?

Back to the top