[wtp-dev] Enhancements in Web Services test extension released last week

Hi,

Please note that an enhancement to the Web service test extension point has been made in last week's WTP 1.5.1 M-build:

1.5.1   Thu, 24 Aug 2006 -- 17:26 (UTC)

See defect 153833 for detail.  Here's a short description of the change:

We have changed the org.eclipse.jst.ws.consumption.ui.tester extension point so that a
particular Web service test extension can optionally specify that they only
support a particular kind of Web service client runtime type.

When deciding which Web service test facility to present to the user, the Web
service wizard would then take this optional attribute into account depending on which

Web service runtime is being processed.

Since the test extension do not necessarily know about what runtime it can
support (there could be many Web service runtime extender), we are
letting the Web service runtime extenders define which test extension could
support their client runtime via the new "supportedClientRuntime" attribute.

You can specify more than one client runtime by listing the client runtimes one after
another seperated by a space.

For Web services tester extensions that can restrict support by client
runtime, such as the Web Services sample JSP generator, we have added a new attribute
"allowClientRuntimesRestriction" and set it to "true".  This attribute will be defaulted to "false"

so that existing Web Service Tester extenders do not have
to react to this change or be inadventently restricted by a particular client
runtime some plugin higher up in the stack may specify.  So as a result, Web
Service test facility such as the Web Services Explorer would still show up for
all Web service runtime.

Since we have now allowed the Web services sample JSP generator to "allowClientRuntimesRestriction"
and set the "supportedClientRuntime" to the Axis Web service client runtimes, the Web Services Sample JSP
generator test facility would not be showing up for other Web service runtimes unless they add an extension
similar to the following defined for the Axis Web service runtime:

<extension point="org.eclipse.jst.ws.consumption.ui.tester">
<tester
 id=

"org.eclipse.jst.ws.internal.consumption.ui.widgets.test.WebServiceSampleTest"
supportedClientRuntimes=
 "org.eclipse.jst.ws.axis.consumption.java
  org.eclipse.jst.ws.axis.consumption.web">
</tester>
</extension>

In addition, we have added 2 optional attributes to the Web service test extension:
- codeGenerated (defaulted to false, should set to true if code will be generated by this test extension)

- serverRequired (defaulted to false, should set to true if this test extension requires a server to run)

Please see defect 104870 for more detail.

The above changes had been communicated to the known extenders to Web services runtime.

Regards,

Kathy Chan
Rational Java Web Services, IBM Toronto Lab
D3-354, D3/R8V/8200/MKM, 8200 Warden Avenue, Markham, Ontario, Canada, L6G 1C7
kathy@xxxxxxxxxx, (905) 413-3022, tieline: 969-6038, fax: (905) 413-4920

Back to the top