Re: [wtp-dev] Triaged bugs

The right place for those kinds of questions is in the bug itself, out
in the open.  This is especially important if the bug ends up being
reassigned to someone else--the paper trail already exists for them to
follow.

Comments do go in the bug.  But I would feel a lot better about someone actually reading my comments if they had
an owner name of Nitin Dahyabhai instead of wst.common-inbox@xxxxxxxxxxx.

Watching the component-inbox user in your email preferences delivers
opened bugs right to your bugzilla email address.  I suggest reading and
triaging them as they come in since that removes the need to scan the
entire list of components repeatedly.  This is especially useful if you
need to be aware of bugs in the prereqs or the wst.common component (for
example).  The number of incoming bugs is the number of incoming bugs,
regardless of the number of components.

New bugs don't really concern me.  It's the potentially thousands of bugs we could have sitting around in generic
components.

Like I said, it was just my two cents.  I just don't see what's so evil about a component lead putting their name next
to a defect they know they are responsible for seeing through to completion.

John Lanuti
Software Engineer, IBM Rational
jlanuti@xxxxxxxxxx
t/l 441-7861

"You see this wandering soul, he's never gonna stop, because he loves and he feels this world can grow.
He's not afraid of feeling, he loves what he believes, he feels, and he grows."  - Of A Revolution

Nitin Dahyabhai/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

07/07/2005 11:05 AM

Please respond to
Nitin Dahyabhai and "General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."

"General discussion of project-wide issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [wtp-dev] Triaged bugs

On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 10:19:33AM -0400, John Lanuti wrote:
> Placing a developer or component lead's name on the defect gives the
> reporter a sense of accountability.  If I have a question about the
> defect or when it will be ready, I know who to email, who to ask.

The right place for those kinds of questions is in the bug itself, out
in the open.  This is especially important if the bug ends up being
reassigned to someone else--the paper trail already exists for them to
follow.

> ...j2ee tools has like 10 components, most of which are shared with
> other development teams.  Having to constantly triage all 10
> components is very tedious.  If all the defects are still under the
> root component, then we would have to read all that components defects
> every time just to see if any of them fall under our responsibility.
> And then this has to repeated for all 10 components.

Watching the component-inbox user in your email preferences delivers
opened bugs right to your bugzilla email address.  I suggest reading and
triaging them as they come in since that removes the need to scan the
entire list of components repeatedly.  This is especially useful if you
need to be aware of bugs in the prereqs or the wst.common component (for
example).  The number of incoming bugs is the number of incoming bugs,
regardless of the number of components.

---
Nitin Dahyabhai