Re: [wtp-dev] Triaged bugs

Hi Tim,

Actually, bugzilla has very clear definition of what each bug status means:
NEW
This bug has recently been added to the assignee's list of bugs and must be processed. Bugs in this state may be accepted, and become ASSIGNED, passed on to someone else, and remain NEW, or resolved and marked RESOLVED.
ASSIGNED
This bug is not yet resolved, but is assigned to the proper person. From here bugs can be given to another person and become NEW, or resolved and become RESOLVED.

After you re-assign a bug from an inbox to someone. The bug status immediately changes to "New". And if I understand it correctly, "New" means the owner must process it. It doesn't mean the owner is working on a fix. Therefore, we are not giving the reporters false impression because it is the reporters' responsibility to understand the system that they are using. They cannot assume that inbox mean nobody is working on it and "re-assigned to somebody in the New state" means that person is working on it.

For the "help wanted" issue, I feel your concern. Perhaps, we can make our Help wanted page more visible[1]. Maybe we can even add "help-wanted" to a bug's keyword field to indicate that we need help on this bug. Then we can setup a query (sorted by component) that finds all the bugs with the "help-wanted" keyword. We can put this query on our bug status page. What do you think?

[1] http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/development/milestone_plans/reports/help-wanted.html

Thanks,

Jeff

Timothy Deboer/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

07/07/2005 09:46 AM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."

wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[wtp-dev] Triaged bugs

Hi,

The current WTP process calls for all bugs to be assigned to someone immediately on arriving in the inbox, to ensure that all bugs have been triaged and are in the right component. Even though we've only been doing this for a short time, we've already been running into some issues:

* This can give the reporter the false impression that someone is actually working on or looking at the bug.

* It makes it impossible for people who want to help out to see which bugs are free.

I vote that we either:

1) scrap this mechanism and follow the way Eclipse does things.

2) generate another set of ids for each component (e.g. "jst.server-triaged@xxxxxxxxxxx") that can be used to indicate the "it's in the right component but nobody is working on it yet" state.

Tim deBoer
WebSphere Tools - IBM Canada Ltd.
(905) 413-3503  (tieline 969)