Re: [wtp-dev] Procedure for M-build candidate and shutdown

David,

Great plan. Thx.

 Here are a few more points that arose in our weekly PMC call.

1. plugin.xml files should contains no errors. Currently PDE is reporting some errors and we feel this is a source of confusion to contributors. plugin.xml should be treated like Java source in the sense that both should "compile" cleanly. This is a milestone exit criteria.

2. Developers should report the status of the product via the wtp-dev list prior to the weekly PMC calls which are held on Tuesdays at 9:00AM EST. Please report status by End of Day on Mondays. (An absense of status will be construed as negative status and may delay the milestone.) The subproject leads will summarize the status to the PMC and a decision will be made on the readiness of the milestone. For M2, we will hold a checkpoint on Dec. 14, and decision point on Dec. 21, hopefully leading up to declaring M2 on Dec. 22.

Arthur Ryman,
Rational Desktop Tools Development

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@xxxxxxx
intranet: http://labweb.torolab.ibm.com/DRY6/

David M Williams <david_williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

12/08/2004 11:58 AM

Please respond to
wtp-dev

<wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[wtp-dev] Procedure for M-build candidate and shutdown

I don't think we've ever been precise about exact timing of some of the upcoming M2 details ... so, I'll propose some here.
Please provide feedback if they are not quite right.  This is meant to be just a refinement on what has already been stated
in M2 plan, which I'm assuming is still the plan (see http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/development/planning/milestone_plan_1_0.html).

Please provide feedback, or agreement, by Thursday 12/9, Eastern time. We'll consider this the "final plan" by then if no objections voiced.

==== existing "plan"
  • 12/10 Build Candidate for Milestone
    • Code Complete
    • component test plans complete
    • Top-to-Bottom "tutorials" will created for testing
    • milestone plans updated, if appropriate, to accurately reflect M2 content (e.g. if there's any "early" or "experimental" function)
    • fix all priority 1 defects, and fix or answer all Blocker, Critical, and Major defects before declaring milestone.

    ==== added detail

    12/10: M2 candidate build has been planned for 12/10. I happen to know that many committers are taking 12/10 off work, so I suggest we just
    literally use the 12/9 I-build as the initial candidate. Ok?

    12/13: Next, by end-of-day (eastern time) Monday, 12/13, I'd like to ask all component leads to post "go/no-go" note here on wtp-dev:
    The meaning of this "go/no-go" vote is that some preliminary smoke testing has been done and build found suitable for full testing.

    12/14: Once all teams have reported "go", teams (and community!) begin full testing, opening bugs, with accurate severities and priorities.

    12/17: Teams can fix all priority 1 and priority 2 problems until 12/17, in head and released for build, with only component-team-lead review/approval.

    12/18 we upgrade build with Eclipse M4 (and "most recent" builds of pre-reqs).

    12/19 - go/no-go vote on suitability of final WTP M2 build (the meaning of the vote is if the build is suitable for full regression testing).

    12/20 - 12/21. 2 days reserved for regression tests. Only priority 1 defects fixed, with review/approval of Project Lead (Arthur and/or Naci [I'll offer to serve as "stand-in" for them, if Arthur and Naci approve that, given short time and timezone/geography constraints].

    12/22 - Project Leads (Arthur and Naci) review open bugs, test results, confer with component leads, etc. and decide to declare "milestone achieved" ... or not.

    =====

    Sound suitable? Anything missing?

Back to the top