Re: [wtp-dev] Failed builds

Naci,

It is possible to layer the build so that each step is smaller and easier to diagnose?

Arthur Ryman,
Rational Desktop Tools Development

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@xxxxxxx
intranet: http://labweb.torolab.ibm.com/DRY6/

Naci Dai <naci.dai@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

12/07/2004 11:22 AM

Please respond to
wtp-dev

wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
Re: [wtp-dev] Failed builds

Chuck,

We have been looking into ways of displaying as much information about the build as possible.  But there are a few challenges:
  • The ant build log xml is currently about 20MB for each build.
  • We tried to filter a reasonable set from this that is dispalyed in the XML Log tab using and xsl:
  • e.g: http://eteration.dyndns.org:8080/cruisecontrol/buildresults/wtp?tab=xmlLogFile&log=log20041207151748  (look at the end)
  • However, when abuild fails this log only have as much information about the failure as the ant task provides. Currently PDE tasks do not provide too much info.  They dump it into workspace .log (Can also be in the range of a few 10s of MB)
  • We typically look ath the XML Log from the reporting app, which you also have access, and learned a few patterns.  For example when it fails in generating build scripts complaining about not finding a plugin, the problem is one of:
    • plugin names have changed or inconsistent across plugin.xml/feature.xml
    • plugin versions have changed or inconsistent acrossplugin.xml/feature.xml
    • plugin is not registered in feature.xml
    • plugin is not in .map file
    • plugin is not in CVS So maybe we can include a simple "text" about the reason for a failure and have a build Troubleshooting FAQ.
      Any other ideas?