[vtp-dev] Skype4Java

When I did the Tellme launcher for VTP 1.0, I implemented an interface to the Skype client so Eclipse could initiate the audio call to the Tellme browser. Since then, Skype has supported an effort to create its own interface code in Java: Skype4Java (https://developer.skype.com/wiki/Java_API). I am planning to replace the interface I did to use the Skype4Java code, a main reason being that my interface is Windows only, and Skype4Java is multiplatform.

I have discovered that the ECF (Eclipse Communication Framework) project has already created a plugin (http://wiki.eclipse.org/Skype_Provider) that fits into their framework and uses the Skype4Java code to interface to Skype. I have tried it, and it seems to work well. I intend to use their Call API inside the launcher so their Skype provider can do the rest. Another benefit is that if ECF creates providers for other VOIP providers, they would just slide right in.

I am in discussion with the ECF project lead about this, and he is enthusiastic that VTP should use the provider.
Downsides of using the ECF provider:
   - VTP would become dependent on some subset of the ECF plugins
- Right now the ECF provider and Call API do not provide for sending DTMF, but they are enthusiastic about adding the capability
Upsides of using the ECF provider:
   - Several more hands, eyes, brains are involved in the project success
- The ECF is definitely planning to include the Skype4Java code, and they will do a lot of the work to do the IP approval in the Foundation

What does everyone think?

-- Mike

Back to the top