[vtp-dev] Evaluating VTP

Blaise,

Listed below are the questions you had regarding VTP, answers are listed below the question.

Q) Can the openVXML editor, persona editor be modified to act on callflows

in the standard web projects file structure? This would allow all app

components e.g. Callflow, VXML, grammar files, media files, JSP, and Java

to exist within the same project.

A) Not at this time.  We are researching the possibility of adding the web project nature to our application and persona projects.

Q) Would it be possible to have multiple callflows within a project? The

reason that I ask is although callflows are powerful they don't readily

allow several developers to work on them concurrently. This would allow

the callflow to be componentized, and procedurized.

A) Our current direction is to continue only having one application per project.  This simplifies deployment of single application changes in large enterprise distributions.  We will be addressing the issues around multiple developers working on a project in an upcoming release.

Q) Could the callflow be extended to handle returning canvas calls? It can

be done with wormholes but if you have many exits to one canvas it is hard

knowing where to return to, you tend to end up with lots of global

variables and lots of additional elements.

A) This sounds interesting though I’m not entirely sure if I understand the question.  I’d love to get some more detail wrapped around this.  I agree that the current method of wormholes can cause graph clutter and would certainly entertain any ideas to reduce or eliminate this.

Q) Could modules with entry exit points for JSP pages be added? So that

the callflow could act in the role of front controller allowing JSP on

occasion to handle the more complex vxml rendering tasks, especially if

this involved generating complex _javascript_ enabled vxml forms for the

voice browsers, to reduce the number of Browser -> Server fetches.

A) This functionality has been developed and will soon be added to the source repository.  A new built-in Subdialog module will be available that allows just that.  It can also be used to integrate other third-party modules, such as Nuance OSDMs and IBM RDCs, into your applications.

Q) How do you embed java behind the callflow, is this possible...

A) Absolutely.  There is an API (org.eclipse.vtp.framework.api) that allows you to build custom modules to use in your callflows.  If you have looked at the source for any of the built-in modules, you’ll see that they use the same API and offer at least a starting point for learning its use.  A custom module construction tutorial is also in the works and will be posted to the website.

Q) Is the callflow xml object model available to be manipulated in java?

This is necessary for dynamic tasks such as substituting prompts depending

on state.

A) The contents of the XML document are not available for programmatic modification.  Many types of dynamic user interaction and back-end system integration can be accomplished using custom modules

Q) What is required to adapt the xml meta model for different browsers at

runtime?

A) There is an abstraction layer that provides concrete implementations of the basic interaction elements, such as field and menu, based on the voice browser being used.  This abstraction is still relatively new and will be expanded to include various platforms out of the box.

Q) For debugging purposes would it be possible to enhance the tools to be

able to trace a callflow as it was executed within the runtime environment

as it was executed, visually from within the eclipse VTP client

application.

A) This is another very good idea.  We are working on adding integrated debug capabilities to the tool set including visual tracing.

Q) Where should I check out the VTP source from is it under the WTP cvs

tree, has the openVXML code been added into the VTP source tree yet.

A) The openVXML codebase is available from the VTP source tree.

Any Feedback would be much appreciated.

Tyler VanWinkle

Product Manager

OpenMethods

4741 Central Street  |  Suite 285  |  Kansas City, MO  |  64112-1533

o| +1.816.283.VXML (8965) x118  c| +1.816.808.2523

Tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  |  www.openmethods.com

Back to the top