RE: [vtp-dev] FW: vtp-dev messages

> Good to see you are participating. Are you making progress on the Mac
> library?

Hi guys,

I think I sent my last email to Mike only, so I thought I'd update the
list with my progress report from 2/6 on the Skype dialer library for
Mac OSX:

I spent a weekend hacking away at the SkDialer JNI library.  I ran
into some problems with the Skype API.

The good news:

I managed to get my libSkDialer.jnilib loaded by your Eclipse plugin,
executing my obj-c code, setting the callbacks correctly and
communicating with them, etc.  So far so good!

The bad news (20h):

The Cocoa API for Skype relies on me having a running CFRunLoop, which I
can't run in a separate thread due to limitations of OSX (It will run a
little bit, but then crash and die horribly).  I presume that Eclipse on
Mac OSX would be running a CFRunLoop itself, but if it is, I don't know
how to connect to it. I tried getting an instance of the current loop
using:

NSRunLoop * loop = [NSRunLoop currentRunLoop];

then adding an NSTimer to it, but the timer never fires.  If I add an:

[[NSApplication sharedApplication] run]

Things work, the timers fire, and the application crashes and burns the
JVM.

I might be able to use an ugly hack of spawning a separate process
(using NSTask) and communicate with it via local pipes (icky) -- but I'd
rather not go this route.  I sent a note about this to the skype
developer forums and I've got the primary developer on my buddy list in
the hopes of catching him online, but so far I haven't got any good

If anyone knows how I can get at the runloop Eclipse is using, that'd be
great!

-- Shaun

Back to the top