VE and Groovy [was RE: [ve-dev] Re: Future of VE]

Cathy Scott wrote:
> I am interested in volunteering to help with VE. I have
> experience with GEF, EMF and in developing the CodeGen
> component of VE.
Awesome.

> In fact I have recently finished a project that, if
> incorporated into the current VE would make it much easier
> for other plugin developers to extend VE for use with XML,
> C++ source code etc.
Was this a project that can be seen publicly?

> The original focus of my project involved analysing  the
> CodeGen component of VE and the feasibility of extending this
> component so that it could parse Groovy source code.
> Although the Eclipse VE homepage claims that it is a
> framework for visual editing for other languages in practice
> the current Codegen component is tightly bound to Java source code.
Very true.

> However VEs CodeGen component contains a great deal of code
> that can be reused for non-Java source. Hence I have
> redesigned this component to create a "Not Just Java Eclipse
> VE", that separates the Java specific code from the rest.
> This functions exactly as the current Eclipse VE, but with
> the Java specific CodeGen being a specific implementation of
> a CodeGen rather than an integral part of the VE itself. A
> new extension point defines a CodeGenFactory that defines the
> embedded source editor to be used, the
> ExpressionDecoderFactory, MethodGeneratorFactory etc. Each of
> these can then be specified for Java, Groovy, C++ etc.
I think that would be a terrific addition.

> It is not intended that this redesigned VE is an alternative
> to the existing Eclipse VE but rather that it demonstrates
> the possibilities for Eclipse VE to become a more general
> framework for building Visual Editors.
And if joined the project and contributed your code, we could very well
start by maintaining it in a branch, and progressively bring it back in
the trunk.

> This redesigned VE was used as the basis for a Groovy VE. At
> present this Groovy VE only parses and generates a limited
> range of Groovy scripts that use the SwingBuilder class.
> However it can potentially be extended so that a wider range
> of Groovy scripts can be processed.
Does this integrates with the Groovy Eclipse plugin?
Note that based no the efforts of the Summer of Code's Anton and Wayne,
we now have better capabilities to write plugins in Groovy.
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Add_the_ability_to_write_plugins_using_jruby_or_
groovy.
That would be awesome if we could build on Anton's work at the same
time.

> I am happy to send you a copy of the Not Just Java plugin so
> that you test it out, as well as the analysis and design paper.
I look forward to it. To avoid putting too much load oon the list, what
about putting it either as aa bugzilla post attachment of a wiki post?
You could then send and email to the list for everyone to peek at it.

> I am also very happy to help with documentation for VE in
> general. I had to do a lot of delving into VE for this plugin
> and others and know my way around parts of it very well,
> particularly the Codegen.
My best suggestion would be start a wiki page under
http://wiki.eclipse.org/VE/Documentation
We could use that as a base to later pull that into plugins as doc.

Cathy: you are a a god send!
welcome!

Back to the top