From: ve-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ve-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Joe Winchester
Sent: Monday, May 16, 2005 2:44 AM
To: Discussions people developing code for the Visual Editor project
Subject: Re: [ve-dev] ve extension tutorials

Hi Gary,

For the first tutorial we have actually been asked to split it into two parts and reformat it for the eclipsecorner articles section so we're doing that at the moment.  The next two subjects we were going to tackle are:

1 - A fairly involved example where the scenario is some classes that aren't widget subclasses but nevertheless have widgets with the pattern of createControl(Composite) and getControl() type methods.  This pattern is similar to that found with JFace and preference pages and the like and would cover things like how to model containment in EMF, more depth in the use of graphical edit parts and the target VM proxies and code generation.

2 - An example what shows how to use the Visual Editor without any Java code generation.  This would show how to open and persist an XML format and will be based around XSWT which is a persistent XML format for SWT.

We have started on the first of these although right now we're aboug 1/2 way through writing the actual plugin example, after which we'll document it. Does this sound like good topics for the next two tutorials, or is there anything else you'd like to see covered ?  As for dates all I know is that they are not comitted M2 items as right now we're still working on reformatting the first tutorial so it is production ready for the eclipsecorner editors.

One thing we should maybe do is actually write the example plugins and code for both examples before we document them - that way people can install the plugins and play with them before we doc them, as I'm finding out that the actual exercise of creating the tutorial is almost as much if not more work than writing the example code.

Best regards,

Joe Winchester

Please respond to Discussions people developing code for the Visual Editor project <ve-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Sent by:        ve-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx