From: Stephen Bryant <Stephen.Bryant@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Dienstag, 29. Mai 2018 22:11
To: Bor Gonzalez Usach <Bor.Gonzalez.Usach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; Meinhardt Axel (BCI/ECM2) <Axel.Meinhardt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: unide developer discussions <unide-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Conclusion issue #35

Hi guys,

I'm away on holiday with the family, so my time is a little limited.

On 29/05/2018 17:38, Bor Gonzalez Usach wrote:
> Hi Axel and Stephen,
>
> I'm not sure I can make it, and Stephen hasn't replied so far. so
> maybe we can try to do this via mail.
>
> Everybody has explained his opinion on each subtopic, and this is the
> summary:
>
> ·Binary data: you both agree that there should be a dataType field
> describing the encoding mechanism (like base64). I have the feeling
> that could be better off in the description field, (and thus also
> avoid some minor issues, like having a boolean value and a dataType=base64).
> However, it isn't a big deal to me. So, the winner is*:* *we have
> dataType field, and must be used only for binary encoded strings*
> (maybe it should be named binaryEncoding or similar?).
>
> The rest of types (bools, numbers, strings, .) rely on the JSON encoding.

I agree with this.

> ·How to represent unitID and namespace: they can be placed directly
> under context.field (flat), as a subobject in context.field.unit
> (nested), or a mix of both depending on whether there is a namespace
> or not (mixed).
>
> Stephen, you seem to think that flat and nested are ok. I prefer flat
> (I don't see any special value in this grouping, and we can save a
> class in the implementations), but nested is fine by me. However I
> would really avoid the mixed option. *So Axel it is up to you to
> decide, but I really think you should go for either flat or nested.*

Agree with this too.

> ·Unit ID restrictions: Stephen, you think that any string should be
> accepted as an ID, and I think they should be restricted because free
> text does not work IMO very well as ID (especially if you let Unicode
> into the party), and Axel, you seem to think too that no restrictions
> are necessary. *So, free strings it is* =)

Looks like we have reached a conclusion!

Best regards,

Steve

[http://assets.balluff.com/JPG_original_size/E-Mail-Footer_Vertrieb_Logo.jpg]

Balluff GmbH · Schurwaldstrasse 9 · 73765 Neuhausen a.d.F. · Germany Phone +49 7158 173-8388 · Fax +49 7158 5010 · stephen.bryant@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:stephen.bryant@xxxxxxxxxx> · www.balluff.com<http://www.balluff.com>

Place of incorporation/Sitz der Gesellschaft: Neuhausen a.d.F., Germany · Register court/Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart, Germany Trade register/Handelsregister: HRB 214038 · Managing directors/Geschäftsführer: Michael Unger, Katrin Stegmaier-Hermle, Florian Hermle Chairman board of directors/Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Dr. Wolf Münstermann · VAT ID/USt-ID: DE213 402 337

[http://assets.balluff.com/JPG_original_size/E-Mail-Footer_Vertrieb_Claim.jpg]

Back to the top