Re: [unide-dev] Conclusion issue #35

Hi Axel and Stephen,

I’m not sure I can make it, and Stephen hasn’t replied so far… so maybe we can try to do this via mail.

Everybody has explained his opinion on each subtopic, and this is the summary:

·         Binary data: you both agree that there should be a dataType field describing the encoding mechanism (like base64). I have the feeling that could be better off in the description field, (and thus also avoid some minor issues, like having a boolean value and a dataType=base64). However, it isn’t a big deal to me. So, the winner is: we have dataType field, and must be used only for binary encoded strings (maybe it should be named binaryEncoding or similar?).

The rest of types (bools, numbers, strings, …) rely on the JSON encoding.

·         How to represent unitID and namespace: they can be placed directly under context.field (flat), as a subobject in context.field.unit (nested), or a mix of both depending on whether there is a namespace or not (mixed).

Stephen, you seem to think that flat and nested are ok. I prefer flat (I don’t see any special value in this grouping, and we can save a class in the implementations), but nested is fine by me. However I would really avoid the mixed option. So Axel it is up to you to decide, but I really think you should go for either flat or nested.

·         Unit ID restrictions: Stephen, you think that any string should be accepted as an ID, and I think they should be restricted because free text does not work IMO very well as ID (especially if you let Unicode into the party), and Axel, you seem to think too that no restrictions are necessary. So, free strings it is =)

Best,

Bor