[ui-best-practices-working-group] New contribution to the guidelines!

Hi all,

Prakash (cc'd) had a great blog http://blog.cypal-solutions.com/2008/07/selection-dialogs-in-eclipse.html wherein he went through the different types of standard eclipse dialogs, explained their purpose and when to use, and even included little code snippets for each.  I asked if wanted to contribute it to the guidelines under "Standard Components" and he was kind enough to do so!  You can see his handiwork under http://wiki.eclipse.org/User_Interface_Guidelines#Standard_Components.  Thanks Prakash!

His original blog had Mac screenshots which he didn't include in the guidelines wiki since all our shots are WinXP.  I have two thoughts on this:
  1. We could include the Mac screenshots and log a bug against the guidelines that they need to be updated.
  2. Maybe we should allow screenshots from whatever platform the contributor is using.  The downside is that the guidelines have less visual consistency.  The upside though is that its great to get *any* contribution to the guidelines and forcing people to require access to one platform creates a barrier to contribution (ie. the upside is we get more contributions).

Personally, I'd rather see more content at the cost of some OS consistency, I think its an acceptable trade off.  Another view is that since we do in fact support all these platforms, having shots from all of them is a more inclusive approach.

Thoughts?

Kevin

Back to the top