Von: tycho-user <tycho-user-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> Im Auftrag von Ahmet Bilgin
Gesendet: Montag, 15. Februar 2021 18:36
An: tycho-user@xxxxxxxxxxx
Betreff: [tycho-user] Produce artifacts consumable by Maven and Tycho

Hi,

what is the current best practice to build common artifacts that are used in both Maven and Tycho builds?

Scenario:

Here is a scenario (all listed modules are build inhouse, except the one called 3rd-Party):

Let’s call the following modules our “core-utils”:

- Module1 (depends on)

    -- Module2

    -- Module3 (depends on)

            --- 3rd-Party

    -- Module4

Module1 – Module4 (“core-utils”) are all required in our Tycho RCP Build and in our Maven Builds (non-eclipse):

-  tycho-rcp-build (depends on)

    -- Module1

    -- Module2

    -- Module3

    -- Module4

- maven-builds (depend on)

    -- Module1

    -- Module2

    -- Module3

    -- Module4

And now the big price question:

Which should be the leading build-system for these “core-utils” – Tycho or Maven?

Additional info: we have way more tycho rcp bundles than plain maven artifacts.

There are two options:

Option-1: Build maven-artifacts with maven

- build and install to maven repo

- Maven builds: can consume the artifacts without additional effort

- Tycho builds: use on-the-fly conversion to Tycho/osgi artifact

    --  Tycho tooling for this is implemented in tycho v.2.2

    -- Alternative: something like maven-bnd-plugin

    --  Consume converted artifacts in tycho build

Option-2: Build tycho artifacts

- build tycho artifacts but store artifacts in Maven style repo or use some other mechanisms to make the artifacts consumable from maven builds

    --  I know that the b3aggretor has this capability when mirroring P2-Repos. See https://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php?title=CBI/aggregator&redirect=no#Creating_a_Maven-conformant_p2_repo

    -- Has Tycho this feature too?

    -- Alternative: for example something like this: https://github.com/lhein/EclipseToMavenTooling

- Tycho Builds: can consume the artifacts without additional effort

- Maven-Builds: can consume the artifacts without additional effort (because the repo is structured like a maven repo, but also has p2 metainformation)

Questions:

1. Which way is preferable /  which should be the leading build system for these “core-utils”?

2. Is there any downside to one of the approaches, I’m maybe missing?

Best regards,

Ahmet

Ahmet Bilgin, M.Sc.
Software Development

MAGMA Gießereitechnologie GmbH

P: +49 241 88901 203
Kackertstrasse 16-18, 52072 Aachen, Germany
www.magmasoft.de
a.bilgin@xxxxxxxxxxxx

 GERMANY ● USA ● BRAZIL ● SINGAPORE ● SOUTH KOREA ● CHINA ● INDIA ● TURKEY ● CZECH REPUBLIC

SAVE THE DATE! 17 - 19 March 2021 - 46th Aachen Foundry Colloquium | The virtual foundry - status and future developments | Digital Conference - Aachen, Germany

MAGMA Gießereitechnologie GmbH | Kackertstraße 16-18, 52072 Aachen, Germany | Legal form: GmbH, Register court: Aachen HRB 3912, Value added tax identification number: DE121745780 | Management: Dr. Marc C. Schneider (CEO and President), Dr.-Ing. Jörg C. Sturm (Managing Director)

Back to the top