Re: [tycho-user] How compatible is Tycho with OSGi

On 03/04/2015 10:18 AM, Jeff MAURY wrote:
The packaging type eclipse-xxx can be used for plain OSGI bundle (ie no plugin.xml is mandatory). The term comes because Tycho reuses build info from the PDE.
However, if you use Tycho to build OSGI, you are facing restrictions:
  • use P2 as a distribution
        This part on using p2 as a distribution mechanism is incorrect. The bundles produced are just plain bundles. As long as you can get your hand on the jar, then you will be able to install it using any OSGi mechanism/API.
To get your hand on the actual jar, you may want to author a feature and an eclipse-repository because they make it easy to collect everything in one place (<project>/target/repository/plugins), but you can ignore all the p2 specific files (e.g. content.jar, artifacts.jar)

  • testing is restricted to Equinox
Regards
Jeff