Re: [tycho-user] Consuming tycho results in non-tycho builds - reloaded

Hi Igor,

Maven versioning scheme is rather loose and there is not such thing as
illegal maven version, as far as I know. According to maven unit tests
[1], any string is a valid version.

You're right, I shouldn't have said "illegal", its only
- parseable versions (with defined semantics)
- unparsed versions (plain string)

If all artifacts have parseable versions all is good.

If all artifacts have plain string versions, things seem to work
mostly, but I understand that 1.9.3.10 is considered newer than
1.10.0.0. Isn't tycho affected by that?

If some artifacts have plain string versions they can be handled
well by maven UNTIL a similar artifact with a parseable version
is uploaded to maven central, at which point the former artifact
is dead. That observation led me to concluding that maven is NOT
expecting this situation, viz mixing parseable and unparseable
versions.

But we won't change Maven. Regarding tycho I'm only slightly
worried about the plain string comparison of versions with 3 dots.

best,
Stephan

Back to the top