Re: [tycho-user] non-p2 based target definitions in Tycho

Hi,

> Don't use -Dtycho.targetPlatform, it bypasses p2 dependency resolution
> logic. Some operations, like rcp app packaging, assume availability of
> p2 metadata for all artifacts and will not work or work incorrectly with
> -Dtycho.targetPlatform.

We don't intend to use -Dtycho.targetPlatform anymore but would like
to start using target definitions which can also be used inside
Eclipse.

> You can use file:// p2 repositories in .target
> file and point them at your checkout.

It seems that Tycho only supports target definitions based on p2
repositories and not simple file/directory locations such as this one:

<?pde version="3.6"?>
<target name="Server Target Platform">
<locations>
  <location path="<absolute-path-to-folder-containing-bundles>"
type="Directory"/>
</locations>
<targetJRE path="org.eclipse.jdt.launching.JRE_CONTAINER/org.eclipse.jdt.internal.debug.ui.launcher.StandardVMType/JavaSE-1.6"/>
</target>

The location specified in the definition above does not contain p2
metadata. This target definition works perfectly within Eclipse but
Tycho rejects it.

Why is this limitation necessary?

-- Anders

PS. We would like to contribute to a solution to this problem. It
would, however, be nice to understand why these limitations have been
introduced.

Back to the top