[tycho-dev] Removing staging steps during release

Hi all,

For the future, I'd like to suggest that we quit doing staging builds. Overall, the staging build steps seem like extra steps that rarely provide value.
I think we should instead just announce intent to release on the mailing-list and then let users try SNAPSHOTs. And after a week, we just go directly from SNAPSHOTs to release without waiting. In the dozen of Tycho released that I've dealt with, I've never seen an issue during the staging phase that couldn't be caught in SNAPSHOTs earlier, and never saw an issue with the release that wasn't happening in the snapshots as well. So it looks like the staging is not a phase that we need to grow quality; it's "only" used to make users aware and more interested in testing, but in practice, a mail mentioning snapshots and a release in a week would do the same.

What do you think?

--
Mickael Istria