Re: [tycho-dev] Prefer currently running Java as ExecutionEnvironment version instead of BREE ?

On Sat, Jul 11, 2020 at 7:37 AM Christoph Läubrich <laeubi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Do you think we should drop support for the BREE-Header and require that
the user installs a matching profile-UI with proper dependencies inside
their target platform?

I think we should drop support for BREE to resolve the execution environment and target-platform.
So a bundle with BREE JavaSE-1.8 build with Java 11 and no other configuration would then resolve dependencies using Java 11 instead of Java 8 (currently).

Or do you mean that the BREE-Header should no longer be used to set
source/target levels and alike (is what you mean by EE the "JRE System
library" to use?)

The BREE header should still be used for source/target level.
If project configures tycho-surefire-plugin useJDK=BREE and has matching toolchains installed; it would use the exact matching toolchain to build, so basically using the correct "JRE System Library" for its BREE; but otherwise (default) it would resolve against the JavaSE-11 System Library, like it's already the case.

Or do you have the target resolution in mind so we do not resolve the
Target (is that what you mean by EE?) for each individual BREE?

No, the proposal is that we just ignore the BREE during target platform resolution, and stick to either the explicitly configured EE, or the default one (the running one).

Back to the top