[tycho-dev] "implicit target platform" -> "simple target platform"

How about saying that a project has a “simple target platform” if no target file is used but only repositories with layout p2?

This is IMHO better than “implicit target platform”, because
  • even with a target file, the resolution result can be non-explicit in certain cases, e.g. if multiple versions of a bundle are included (which is possible with includeMode=slicer)
  • even though the resolution result is typically not explicitly determined when repositories with layout p2 are used, the content of the “target platform” (=artifact against which the project dependencies may be matched) is explicitly specified. For example, I can explicitly state that my project builds against Indigo. “Non-explicit” or “implicit” makes me rather think of target platform content which is not specified in the POM like the locally built artifacts (but I am not proposing to use the term “implicit target platform” for that instead ;-)

What do you think?

Regards
Tobias

Back to the top