Asking a PMC vote : We will start an incubating module/subproject in VE. [was RE: [tools-pmc] RE: [ve-dev] Contribution on VE with XML editor]

Ed:
Your suggestion is  just what I needed!

Dear Tools PMC:
I am working with the VE community to bring in on board the contributions of
Cathy Scott ( a VE extension for Groovy and non-Java files) and the
contributions of Yves Yang (a VE extension for XML-based files). We will
soon start a vote for them to join as full committers on VE.

When those contributions have been reviewed by the team and prepped I will
submit CQs in IPZilla and request to have those contributions reviewed under
the parallel IP process
http://www.eclipse.org/projects/dev_process/parallel-ip-process.php .
Those contributions will be hosted in the Tools CVS in an incubating
submodule of the VE project.
We will follow there every bit of the Eclipse incubations rules -- both in
letter and intent  -- until such time we have a move review so they could
become fully integrated into the VE releases. We will for instance set
separate web pages for that and mark those as incubating as defined here:
http://www.eclipse.org/projects/dev_process/incubation-conforming.php etc.

I am asking you now to vote on that proposal with a +1, -1 or abstention by
what to do. I would aslo kindly ask -- if you agree to that vote-- that you
cast your vote  within the next seven days.

Cordially

--
Cheers
Philippe

philippe ombredanne | 1 650 799 0949 | pombredanne at nexb.com
nexB - Open by Design (tm) - http://www.nexb.com
http://easyeclipse.org - http://phpeclipse.net - http://eclipse.org/atf -
http://eclipse.org/vep - http://labs.jboss.org/drools/ -
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/XULRunner

Ed  Merks wrote:

>  >  Jeff,
>  >
>  >  Isn't that what the Technology project is for?!   It seems almost
>  ironic
>  >  for the Tools project to have a general purpose
> incubating subproject  > when  >  the entire Technology
> project exists for this purpose...
>  >     Jeff  McAffer wrote:
>  >  unfortunately the parallel IP process applies only to
> "Incubating
>  Projects".  VE is not incubating. It seems a
> bit extreme to set up a  new
>  Tools project to incubate
> this work.  So an interesting question is  >  whether  >  or
> not Tools should have a general "Incubator" as we do in the
> Eclipse
>  TLP.
>  >  >  Jeff
 >  >  >  >  "Philippe wrote:
>  >  Hi Yves:
>  >  Welcome ! This is a great news.
>  >  Your contributions are very much welcomed and I would
> love you join the  >  project and be a driving force for
> non-Java visual editing.  >  Team, I had a good discussion
> with Yves on the phone and here is how we  >  could go at it:
>  >  1/ we need a VE incubator for that, so we can welcome new
> significant  > code  >  contributions and benefit from the
> paralell IP process . Any thought  from  >  the Tools PMC on
> how to do that?  >  2/ in the meantime Yves and I will work
> to prepare his contribution  (mini  >  ip  >  review,
> package/names space refactoring, notices, licenses etfc) and
> when  >  ready this will be posted in some public for
> everyone to review  >  3/ at that stage I'll be able to start
> an IPZilla CQ to get review and  >  approval for that
> contribution  >  4/ then we can vote Yves in asa  new
> committer  >  >  The interesting things is :  >  There are
> synergies possibilities with the proposed contribution from
> >  Cathy  >  (the VE Groovy extensions)  >  There have been
> request here and on the new group for XML focused VE  >
> extensions.  >  >  Thoughts? Feedback?  >  >  >  --  >
> Cheers  >  Philippe  >  http://easyeclipse.org -
> http://phpeclipse.net - http://eclipse.org/atf
>  -
>  >  http://eclipse.org/vep - http://labs.jboss.org/drools/ -