Re: [tigerstripe-users] Query artifact

Title: Re: [tigerstripe-users] Query artifact
Hi Miguel,

The documentation may be lacking indeed on the purpose of QueryArtifacts. Let me provide a bit of context.

In the context of OSS/BSS integration and the definition of Services/Interfaces you often times want to expose Query mechanism (get-all-the-failed-orders for a specific service activitation, eg.). Typically, you don’t provide direct SQL access through the interface, but rather treat queries as “black-box” objects (thus the concept of “Named Queries”).
This is what the QueryArtifacts are intended for. So, input to the query are to be captured as attributes on the query, and queries must specific the return type for the returned collection (e.g. an “Order” entity in my example above).

Once captured in the model, QueryArtifacts can be treated in multiple ways during code generation to be presented as specific WSDL operations e.g., or any other way which is up to you.

In addition to that, the meta-model also contains “Update Procedures” which is intended to capture the concept of a long running operation, where the object is here again a black-box further specify with attributes (input to operation). The idea is that you’d generate methods that would allow to provide instances of these objects to an interface, it would return a operation identifier that could be later used to check on the status of the operation, cancel it, etc...

Hope that helps,
Eric