Re: [technology-pmc] Workswith dependency for Kura

Thanks Wes for your confirmation and the explenations!

-Gunnar

Am 26.02.2014 um 23:03 schrieb Wes Johnson <wes.johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Gunnar,

    Yes - this is correct as far as complexity of building this piece would be.  But, this goes back to my question about 'what can be where' in terms of the build process.  Please correct any statements that may be wrong.

    For background, we use maven to build.  From a user perspective if they wanted the optional web ui bundle, they would have to build it themselves.  This is because we can not distribute a binary Kura web ui bundle that includes the GXT binary as well as code generated by GXT.  But, if we had the project source (written by Eclipse commiters and code that will be under EPL) as well as the maven pom file that referenced GXT as a dep (which would get pulled in from a public - non Eclipse hosted - maven repo) this would allow the build to be performed by a user.  This would result in a bundle which the user could install and use on a target platform.

    The caveat would be that we could not build this component on the build servers at Eclipse since GXT and resulting components dependent on GXT could not be redistributed.  So, in the source tree of what is hosted at Eclipse, we would leave the building of the Kura web ui component depending on GXT disabled.  If a user wanted it, they pull in the source, toggle the 'enable web ui flag' in the maven config, build it - which pulls in GXT as a maven dep from a maven repo that is not eclipse, and outputs a web ui bundle that they can transfer to their system.  Is this acceptable?  From a user perspective, they only have to toggle that flag and do a 'mvn clean install'.  So, the effort is not huge for those that want the benefit.  Since the flag is disabled by default, it would not be part of the regular Kura builds at Eclipse - so binary builds to be distributed at Eclipse would not include this piece.  I should note our tycho/maven based build is already this flexible and working today.

    On a final note, we understand this is not a viable long term option.  We are looking into others but as noted, it will take some time.  But, this is what we have today.  Also, this will not gate Kura from getting released.  We have a few CQs to wrap up first but this is truly optional and can be left out.  But, it greatly enhances the user experience so we'd like to keep it if at all possible, even it it has be built by users.

Thanks,
Wes